Friday, November 6, 2009

Let's Go!

And here we go, the adventure starts by car. Blue-Shelled Jetta will hopefully hold its health, for an earlier operation days before and the supposedly normal quart per thousand mile oil consumption worries me. After a week in Portland and Seattle, I keyed in and turned Blue Shell on, however and unfamiliar engine light steadily shown on the dashboard as I continued up the street. An ignition coil broke, cracking my savings as well, serving its plate of disappointment considering part of that money was put aside for travellin’ boots. A pair that was city friendly but told people I’m serious business. Don’t mess with the fitted half-inch heeled, mid-calf boot with a sandy, waxed soft suede. It’s the suede that sets anyone off.

9:00 am: everything packed with two thousand miles of road to travel. I never know what to bring. Books always try to give concrete advice and techniques for packing the correct amount, but I never quite listen. Seeing that CVS and McDonalds took over the world, food and supplies are always near. However, Garmin and TomTom will not direct us to any of this, so any finds will have to be on our own. An excitement, and of course inevitable frustration, seeing that I’ve always enjoyed studying maps, following the bold black lines, red lines, and empty white lines, but sometimes get so caught in the graphic mess of roads that I miss occasional exits.

Along the way, boarding includes My Valentine’s family and friends mixed with a couple of roadside and cityside hotels. Almost ten days together in a car makes problems and arguments more probable every mile and every wrong turn, and I just hope two returns home from this adventure.

No matter. At least the trip finally begins. A feeling always lingers while planning any extended outing that it won’t actually happen. It’s all a dream and will soon dissipate before the starting day arrives, in its course leaving nothing but everyday realities and responsibilities.

A number of cities will be hit on the round trip, all of which are unfamiliar or new. The list for the extravaganza tour includes Washington D.C., Raleigh, Annapolis, the Outerbanks, Philadelphia and surrounding areas, avoiding driving through New York Cit at all costs. My local library will be the last stop considering my Steinbeck is weeks overdue and the third passenger on the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment