Monday, November 2, 2009

Twenty Three Years Old

Admittedly, I don’t know everything. But at my age, a year and then some after my college career closed, it is not expected. Information continually streamed by my parents and other AARP magazine subscribers. Yes, suspect tells me all answers must all be in that little publication. However, if all knowledge did flood my brain, I would imagine life to be quite uneventful, even annoying, and supposedly I would move to the moon. Well damn, call me king and I would take over that floating hunk of rock.

Click click clack, a big world waited. Thank you email sent, Apple off and my last box in hand as good byes were handed out before leaving two and a half hours early that Friday with no planned return. Rebelling? Not quite, but it would make a better story. My stay at this company as a designer completed, with remorse shadowed by relief. After fourteen months, five contracts, economic collapse and four moves later, control, freedom and joblessness ended back on my hands. All wrapped and tied with the question of what to do next with this unfamiliar package.

However, at least this I knew. No more designing in front of a computer, striking inspiration from the internet and ignoring the everyday because I did the everyday, everyday. My need for expansion trumped all logic and my mom’s questions of why the next job was not already waiting for my arrival. Before jumping back into that world, I wanted to, a common need of us youngins, journey into my surroundings. Maybe even wonder off course for no reason in particular.

So here off I go on a couple little adventures with friends and family, and then on my own by train, starting on the East Coast to arrive home on the West Coast for a sunny family holiday. Well, sounds easy, but planning and scheming definitely needed here. Time in transit will be reserved for exploring, documenting, and reforming expectation.

I’ll probably get lost somewhere on this whirlway, but no reason to stop now.

1 comment: