Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Run! for the Jatran

Jackson's one form of public transportation--a bus system under the name of Jatran--is not the model of perfection, with frequent and finicky tendencies. So when the one I needed sat at a stop light on the other side of the street, there I went running across four lanes of traffic, wrapping my arm around my backpack to keep it from jumping around. While inserting my $1.50 fee, the bus driver looked over and laughed, commenting on my daring dash.

Bus Driver: Ha, you went for it.
Whirlway: Oh yeah, no way this bus was going to leave without me.

With hair dyed blond hair from her original black, slightly curled, the bus driver sat fancy, yelling back and forth with regular riders.

Rider 1: Hey, turn the heat down.
Bus Driver: Turn it off?! Ha, you’d better take your coat off!

Rider 2: Working overtime?
Bus Driver: Yep, I’ve been drafted!

And at 2:00pm, after a tour of northern Jackson, the bus opened its doors onto Union Station, and with a thank you wave, I jumped off.

No comments:

Post a Comment